Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011

Hairbrained Schemes

Though greeting a new year is always exciting, I'm always sad to say goodbye to the old year. By the end of December we've become good friends, the old year and I. We know one another. There's been good times and bad, but we've gotten through it together. I'm familiar with the year, and he's familiar with me. No longer writing 2011 in my journal is just a tangible confirmation that the good memories the year and I shared are merely memories.  Here are some of my favorites.


*Visiting our Nation's Capital - There's nothing like a good girls' road trip. I will forever stand by that statement. I loved celebrating the birth of my dear, sweet friend Robyn and exploring the famous spots of DC. I ate the best cupcake I have ever tasted and I saw Dorothy's ruby slippers. I walked where some of the most intelligent men and women of our country work and I was able to silently thank those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.


* Saying hi to Mickey Mouse - If you didn't already know, I'm a little obsessed with all things Disney. This character trait developed because I come from a family of Disney lovers.  We've been going to Disney World just about every other summer since I can remember. So, what better way to celebrate our last family vacation as just the four of us with a trip to Disney? We had an amazing time running through the parks, remembering old times, creating new memories, and planning for future trips. I rode Space Mountain, like, eight times.

* Graduating from the best university in the world - Though I would have loved to live the college life forever, I knew the day where I would have to leave NC State behind would eventually come. Though the forecast called for rain, it was a beautiful, sunny day. I graduated from the English Department in the afternoon and I got to watch my big bro be "robed" at his graduation from Duke University's Seminary. I never thought my diploma would bring me as much pride as it does.

* Witnessing 3 of my dear friends' wedding days - Though baking their wedding cakes may have been one of the more challenging tasks of my new adulthood, being a part of each of these brilliant womens' weddings in this way was a high honor. Standing next to Mollie as she said her vows, and seeing the joy on her sweet man's face is something I will never forget. I thank you, friends, for allowing me to play a part on your day. Candace, Andrea, Mollie, you're beautiful.

* Finding a mother of the bride dress - While my mom and I are still on the hunt for the perfect dress for her, the day we went searching in Raleigh is one of my all time favorite memories. We've gone shopping before, but this was different. We talked about everything under the sun. We laughed when she tried on ridiculous outfits and stealthily snuck out when we realized everything in the store was insanely over our price range. I have an amazing mom.

* Scheming with Mollie - Though our dreams of becoming freelancers may not have come into fruition, I will always treasure the time Mollie and I brainstormed for our business. We sat in our favorite coffee shop on our favorite couch and talked about the future as if it was ours for the taking. Sometimes the realization that we weren't successful is a bitter pill to take, but then I remember our dreamings. Everything is still possible. This isn't the end of the road for us.

* Prince Charming's proposal - Cheesy? Sappy? Maybe. But, really, how horrible of a person would I be if my top memory wasn't Cameron and his promise? Dinner was completely silent. All we could do was stare and shyly smile at one another. We both knew what was coming next. We both were nervous, and we were both about to burst at the seams. He cried as he pulled out the ring while Simon and Garfunkel sang sweetly in the background. The sea breeze blew through my hair, lights shimmered on the deck, and I kissed the man I will spend the rest of my life with.

Happy Old Year

Love, Alli 

No comments:

Post a Comment