Monday, September 19, 2011

I'm Engaged!

Look at that rock! : )

Ladies and Gentleman, it is true.  I, Alli, am an engaged woman.  I can't believe it! It happened Friday night and I still sit and look at my ring for hours, mesmerized by the twinkle and sparkle of the diamond that rests on my hand. The boyfriend is now the fiance, and I couldn't be more thrilled!

He drove me to his cousin's beach house in Wilmington, NC, where I told him I loved him for the first time.  He had been down there earlier that week with one of his friends and they covered the porch with candles and Christmas lights.  He had a record player singing Simon and Garfunkel and Big Band hits.  We had dinner from one of our favorite restaurants in Raleigh, and listened to the waves roaring in the background.

I had an idea of what was about to happen and I couldn't stop smiling!! Eventually, he couldn't wait any longer, and pulled out a beautiful ring box and got down on one knee.  Moments after I said, "yes," fireworks exploded over the Carolina Beach pier.  Neither I nor my fiance had any idea they were scheduled and we both stood in awe and watched the bright, bold colors grow and fade in the night sky.  I couldn't have asked for a more perfect proposal night!

Unfortunately we didn't capture any pictures of the big night, but this is one of my favorite pictures of us!
The next morning, a couple of my friends came over to my place and we had a celebratory pancake breakfast, with mimosas, of course!  I had a great time retelling the story and showing off my new prized possession.  It was wonderful sharing the excitement of the previous night with some of my closest friends!!

It was a memorable morning, bed-head and all!

Now it's time to start planning.  As you know, I've been following wedding blogs for months with the excuse of doing research for my friends' weddings.  I thought I was gathering some great ideas for my own shin-dig, but now that the time is actually here, I feel totally clueless!

I registered for The Knot yesterday, and though they have many helpful tools and articles, it was also very overwhelming.  I now feel like it's necessary to spend every spare moment of my life planning!

However, I do realize that if the cake topples over and is eaten by a hoard of rats, or the bridesmaids all have wardrobe malfunctions during a huge hurricane pouring buckets on our wedding, I'll be all right.  The most important thing is that, once the day is over, my man will become my husband and I will become his wife!

Also, I have several wonderful friends who just went through all of this! They have been very supportive and I know they will continue to stay by my side every step of the way.  I am also blessed with a wonderful mother who can't wait to help me plan and make sure I'm a happy, beautiful bride.

Thanks for all your sweet wishes!

Love, Alli

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, congratulations! Being engaged is such a special time, I hope you really enjoy it! Also, if you're not on Pinterest yet, you might want to check it out. It would be a great planning resource for you. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete