Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday Brunch: Maple-Pecan Scones

I attempted to bake scones for the first time yesterday.  The first batch was made from a Bisquick recipe and, while they turned out okay, they tasted like every other baked good made out of Bisquick.

Now, don't get me wrong, Bisquick and I are old and devoted friends.  Its quick biscuit recipe has saved me several times when I was given the task of preparing the buttery delicacies for a family get-together and I will forever vow that Bisquick pancakes are the absolute best.  However, if I spend a lot of time on something like a scone, I want it to be something special.

I think the round two scone recipe fits the bill: Maple-Pecan Scones!  My mouth is watering just thinking about them.  This delightful recipe came from the Food Network Magazine.

I used to be intimidated by scones and have always heard that they are very difficult to make.  But now I'm on a scone cooking rampage!  I encourage you to try it out too.  I just wish they weren't so unhealthy, but we don't have to think about that.  Enjoy!

Ingredients


3/4 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-pupose flour, plus more for dusting
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus a pinch
1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup

Directions


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Combine the buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.

Put the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, orange zest, nutmeg, cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor and pulse until combined.  Add butter and continue to pulse until the mixture looks like fine meal.

Add the pecans and pulse once.  Add the buttermilk mixture and pulse 3 or 4 times, or until the mixture is just moistened.  Do not over mix or the scones will be tough.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until it just forms a ball. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and pat into an 8-inch round, about 3/4 inch thick. To make individual scones, cut into 8 wedges and space apart on the baking sheet.  Brush with buttermilk and bake until golden, about 25 minutes.  Let cool 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Mix the confectioners' sugar, maple syrup and a pinch of salt in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over the scone. Cut into wedges.

Love, Alli


image courtesy of: Steve Giralt

No comments:

Post a Comment