Monday, February 27, 2012

The Unexpecteds of an Engagement

Terra Vision Photography

I'm going to start with a disclaimer.

Being a fiancee is wonderful. It's a short, special time that will never happen again and I wouldn't trade it for the world! It's just that, well, there are things I didn't expect when I first became a fiancee. I'll get into the mushy gushy, lovey dovey, out-of-this-world wonderful stuff in another post; but I've always been a bad news first, good news second kind of gal.

At first I was going to post a laundry list of every little thing that was icky about planning a wedding, but it basically boils down to one thing: planning a wedding is extremely stressful.

A girl, from the time she is born, constantly hears that her wedding day is "all about YOU!" We grow up dreaming about our perfect dress and the color scheme and what our towering cake will taste like and the teary toasts our brothers will make.

If you think about it, twenty some odd years of dreaming about one day creates a lot of pressure for that one day to be, well, perfect! Tiny decisions become monsters that will make or break a reception. Things you never cared about before, like personalized napkins and rental chairs, become your new obsessions, and you can't seem to make it through a lunch without discussing the benefits of a champagne colored bridesmaids' dresses versus beige.

While the intentions are sweet, I don't really want June 2nd to be all about me. First of all, I'm not the only person getting married. There is a groom too, people! Second of all, I'm inviting my friends and family to help me celebrate this special occasion! If I didn't want them there, I'd just get hitched at the courthouse and call it a day. I don't want to mistreat my loved ones by turning the day into the "Alli the Diva Show."

But, most importantly, a wedding isn't just a celebration of two human's love for one another; it is a celebration of Christ's love for us! It is a reminder of how He pursues us, the Church, and has, does, and will always go to any lengths to show His love for us.

When I become the most stressed, and become teary eyed over envelope addressing, that's what I try to remember. Though I'm excited about the flowers and the menu and the dress, I'm more excited that this day isn't about me, or about Cameron.

What are your thoughts on wedding days? Any advice on how to appreciate this time of engagement would be greatly appreciated!

Love, Alli

No comments:

Post a Comment