Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Boss is Two

mooziehome

I recently started a nannying job, and, let me tell you, I have a newfound appreciation for every single mom that is living, has lived, and will live. I don't know how they do it! And where do kids their energy from? Was there really a time in my life when I would run around the couch ten times without stopping to ask myself "why"?

But, my strengthened love for moms and my awe at a two year old's stamina aren't the only things I've been able to take away from this job. I'm reminded of how I used to think when I was that age. It's enlightening and convicting.

I remember watching TV as a little girl and seeing episode upon episode of how a parent couldn't relate to their kid anymore because they've forgotten what it was like to be that age. I used to think that was so ridiculous an unbelievable. Who would forget what it's like to be a certain age?

Well, me. That's who.

Today I was reminded that when I was four, not only did I think I could play "Kumbaya My Lord" on the guitar perfectly, I also thought I was on my way to creating a new language.  Nouns, verbs? Who needs them?  Gibberish is the way of the future.

I think, however, I had my biggest epiphany while watching that two year old's smile consume his face as he turned a light switch on and off.  He was turning a light switch on and off and having the time of his life! The fact that he learned how to make the lights obey his every command seemed like the greatest accomplishment he could ever achieve.

 Now, I don't want to turn into a Hallmark card and loose any sense of serious credibility, but hear me out.

I have forgotten how to derive joy out of the littlest things.  For years, now, my goals have been placed on loftier, more deserving purposes.  I've thought that in order to live a life worth living I'd have to save a kitten from a burning building or write our generation's Uncle Tom's Cabin or, at the very least, cure the common cold.

This isn't true, however; they're lies!  I don't have to climb to the top of Mt. Everest in order to feel important, to be important.  Putting a Cars Band-Aid on a kid's freshly scraped knee is just as monumental.

The book I'm reading right now is talking about how Christ's kingdom is moved by the smallest of actions by the people who love Him.  My biggest purpose in life, the biggest purpose I could ever be given, is to glorify God.  So, whether I'm doing that in a space suit, or with apple sauce on my shirt, as long as I'm trying to follow God's will then I'm doing all right.

So, thank you two-year-old boss. You have taught me a lot.

Love, Alli

No comments:

Post a Comment