Friday, August 19, 2011

Look, Ma, I'm a Writer!

magnesina

If you had asked me six months ago if I thought blogging was writing, I would have laughed and walked away.  Psh, blogging.  I was so high and mighty I didn't even think that question deserved an answer.

"Is blogging writing? Please!" I thought.  "It's a bunch of silly people saying nothing to nobody.  Of course it isn't writing!"

At least, that's what I thought until I took my Writing for Electronic Media class my last semester at State.  Among other things, we were required to start a blog and create at least 10 posts over the course of the term.  I begrudgingly completed these assignments, sheepishly hiding the incriminating evidence from my friends, family, and, most importantly, my English colleagues.

Every post was tainted with cynicism as I was ashamed to be taking a part of the "blogging world."  It actually wasn't until I was assigned to reflect on my blogging experience that I found out I actually kind of liked it.  By the end of the assignment, I wanted to be a blogger!

Fortunately, this classroom blog has been deleted as my half-hearted posts were a little embarrassing.  Through those posts, however, I did discover my "blogger voice."  It felt good to develop a style of my own and be able to properly express my thoughts and feelings in a (hopefully) entertaining way.

While I wouldn't consider any of my blog posts equal to James Joyce's Ulysses, I do believe that what I am doing is, in fact, writing.  I don't want to kill the English language or destroy this treasured art form that has been carefully crafted for years.  No, I wish to bring writing into the 21st Century!  I want to help our ever-changing language merge into this new form.

I like to think of myself as a pioneer of sorts, even if I am a pioneer that jumped on the band wagon a little late.

I don't see how a blog is any different from an opinion column in your local newspaper.  I just edit myself and my circulation isn't as large.  Whether or not I'm good at what I do, well, that's for you to decide.

Love, Alli

No comments:

Post a Comment